Saturday, January 26, 2013

Splash Support

I went back to work yesterday at my old location. In attractions, in order to keep your training, you must work one shift every 6 months. My 6 months was up February 1 and so I needed to work asap. I was welcomed back with an eleven and a half hour shift (HELLO!) and open arms from my fellow cast members and managers. It was so wonderful seeing everyone. The best feeling was probably hearing from so many people how happy they were to have me back. The hugs were overflowing and it was just such a great day.

I however did not work AT Splash. Splash is being refurbished until March 20 and so I got to stand outside and pin trade with guests and answer questions. It sounds boring but it was probably one of the best Splash shifts I've ever had. I actually got to talk to people. Working in such a popular attraction, I never got the opportunity to hold conversations with guests. It was always "hey guys enjoy your day" or "the bathrooms are straight back on the right". Yesterday I actually got to talk to people and hear about their trip and lives.

I met a family with 5 girls. FIVE! The oldest was 7 and youngest was 3 months old. I actually saw them a few times during the day and I got to know all of their names and their hometown and I remembered each of them when I saw them again and they remembered me. At the end of my night I then met a family with FIVE BOYS!!! The oldest was 9 and youngest was 1. How crazy is that?!? I met two young girls who would not leave my side. They were interested in my job and if I knew the princesses and if I lived in Disney World. I ended up giving them 2 pins they were fascinated by because they had left their lanyards at their hotel and they insisted they would find me the next day to give me one of theirs. It was so sweet. My favorite guest of the day had to have been a family from Atlanta. It was a family of 4 with two grandparents. They started to talk to me about how sad they were that Splash was down, then all of the sudden the Grandfather says, "BUFFALO?!? (what my name tag says) We're from Clarence!!!" His and his wife's face just lit up. He said he's never met another Buffalonian here before and it was very exciting to him (I don't blame him. I get excited when I meet someone even remotely close to home!). They asked why I was there and I gave them a quick run down on my life and they were so attentive and curious. They thought it was great that I am chasing after my dreams and wished me all the best of luck. I promised them to send warm weather back home and they hugged me goodbye. It was just the sweetest thing.

So it was a great day. I never got to experience anything like that. It was so so wonderful.

I've been lucky enough to stay with a few friends these past few days before I move into my apartment on Monday. Until then I'll be hitting up the parks and meeting new friends!! (I've already met a few!!) I don't start training at the Boutique until February 1 so I'll have a nice long week to do some homework for my online class and enjoy my Florida life!!

- Andrea

2 comments:

  1. Reading your posts makes me happy & sad all at the same time. I miss the magic of these opportunities. But you find them in all places sometimes! A lot of the families that come in to my work now (at GAP) are leaving for their disney trips that week & I love giving them tips & tricks & advice. I hope you have the best time everrrr down there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling!! I still need to get hooked up with a GAP discount ;) haha come visit and we can swap!!

      Delete